United Article III, section 2, of the United States Constitution, jurisdiction of the federal courts is limited to the following:
- cases, in law and equity arising under the Constitution, Laws of the United States and Treaties;
- cases affecting ambassadors, public ministers and consuls;
- cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;
- controversies to which the United States shall be a party;
- controversies between two or more states;
- cases between a state and citizens of another state; and
- cases between citizens of different states.